Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Constantly on the Move

As I listened and watched the video of Dorian Merina's poem Migrations, I couldn't help but focus on a curious phrase that was repeated various times throughout the poem:


"On the boats come the blood, the blood, the blood"
What could this mean? What could Merina be trying to tell us, the readers, by using such strong imagery? After contemplating for a while, I began to think about how this whole course is based on traveling and I immediately realized that water is one of the most important means of transportation in the world. People have always been using water to get somewhere, and that is why I have come to an understanding that perhaps what Merina is trying to express is that blood, a substance that represents passion, love, vigor and life, has always been travelling on boats. People are always on the move, just like ideas and emotions and I think that perhaps Merina is trying to show that we are what keeps the world moving. We are the energy that has always and will always keep the world from going stale.

No comments:

Post a Comment