Sunday, September 5, 2010

Satire!

This section of The Canterbury Tales, written by Chaucer, reminds me of what I've studied regarding the Protestant Reformation. The Protestant Reformation was a Christian reformation movement which denounced the Church's abuses (selling of indulgences- "The Pardoner's Tale) and resulted in a schism within the church. This movement began in 1571 and ended in 1648. I've done a little bit of research and I found that The Canterbury Tales were written at the end of the 14th century. This means that the Protestant Reformation had not begun yet in Europe. This leads me to believe that this book is a satire. It has all aspects of satire which we studied last year in our Pre-AP English course and is clearly proposing a social commentary that targets the vices of Europe in the end of the 14th century.

No comments:

Post a Comment