Monday, November 29, 2010

Gold Digger

She take my money, well I'm in need
Yeah she's a triflin' friend indeed
Oh she's a gold digger way over time
That digs on me

I aint sayin she a gold digger,
but she ain't messin' with no broke Mr. Darcy
Now I aint sayin she a gold digger,
but she aint messin with no broke Mr. Darcy

Look, personally I have really become attached to Elizabeth Bennet. She is an intelligent, outspoken, and strong woman which does not keep quiet about some of the social paradigms which her family hold so dearly (crazy ass Mrs. Bennet). I respect her for this. Sadly, however, along the middle of the book I noticed something which was quite... disappointing.

It seems funny to me that the first time we are told about Eliza's interest in Mr. Darcy is right after she runs into him at Pemberley and sees his “large, handsome, stone building, standing well on rising ground" (page 181). Do you think that Elizabeth fell in love with Mr. Darcy because of all the things that Mrs. Reynolds says about Mr. Darcy as a man? Or do you think that Elizabeth is merely witnessing the amount of material wealth which Mr. Darcy owns which then induces her newly felt love and interest for Darcy?


No comments:

Post a Comment